Sunday 26 February 2017

10 Songs I'm Loving Right Now

This was initially meant to only be 5 songs but I've been listening to these songs so much that I couldn't only choose 5. Most of these songs are from a Spotify playlist called 'Jack Garratt Presents: My Split Personality'. This playlist has a mix of instrumental songs and songs with vocals. I love this as it makes it great background music for when I'm doing work as it's not too distracting.

1. Laputa - Hiatus Kaiyote

I only recently discovered Hiatus Kaiyote, from Melbourne, Australia, when I stumbled upon this playlist. This particular song is quite short at only 2:25, but I was instantly drawn into its neo-soul sound. I struggled to choose my favourite song of theirs as there are a few on the playlist, including Ocelot and Molasses, all from their most recent album, 'Choose Your Weapon'.
hdhdhdhdhdhdhd

2. Heartattack and Vine - Tom Waits

Tom Waits is a musician from the 70's and 80's, with a very raspy voice, which I absolutely love. Heartattack and Vine is a fairly slow song, with quite a simplistic sound. It reminds me of the kind of music you'd hear in an American run down bar/diner in a film.
hdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

3. Brooklyn - Youngblood Brass Band

I'm in love with this song. Youngblood Brass Band is a brass band (obviously) with a punked-out hip-hop sound. Brooklyn is an instrumental song which allows the instruments to be the main focus. I think it's climaxes and mini solo's are just great and the song in general just puts me in a really good mood.
hdhdhdhdhdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

4. Old Songs - Tom Grennan

Tom Grennan is the reason I found this playlist in the first place. His accent as well as a slight raspy-ness makes his voice so interesting. I chose this song in particular because it was stuck in my head for a few days and I didn't get sick of it once. It has quite a simplistic sound consisting of his vocals and an acoustic guitar as the key instruments, with a drum kit and piano adding some more depth in some parts of the song.
hdhdhdhdhdhdhdhd

5. Sheila - Jamie T

Similar to Tom Grennan, Jamie T's accent adds a lot of interest to his songs for me. I love the funky drum rhythm and simplistic bass line as well as added vocal samples and synths. This song is another that was stuck in my head for a few days, even before I knew the name of the song.
hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

6. Queen of Wonderland (feat. Thundercat) - D*aVeY

This song is created much more electronically than the previous songs, featuring a lot of digital drum beats and modified vocals. The almost strained vocals of the chorus is part of what attracted me to this song. D*aVeY draw inspiration from soul, funk, hip hop and new wave and I love the blend genre they've created.hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

7. Scars on Scars - Martin Luke Brown

Brown's voice sounds almost soulful and is describe as a 'gritty, souly, hippie boy'. Scars on Scars features backing vocals which remind me a bit of a gospel choir and I am a big fan of it. I just love the overall tone of this song and I think that Brown really succeeds at expressing his emotions in his voice.
hdhdhdhdhdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

8. Back Pocket - Vulfpeck

Back Pocket is such a joyful song and shows their funk influence from the very start. The soft and upbeat vocals help create a chilled out and uplifting vibe throughout the song. The lyrics are quite simple and very repetitive but the tempo they are sung at makes their repetitiveness an effective part of the song. I love Vulfpeck's funk sound and I could easily listen to their music all day long.
hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

9. Girl - The Internet (feat. KAYTRANADA)

This is another song with quite a chilled out feel to it, which I love. I find the vocals in this song quite soothing and some parts I think even sound almost seductive. The lyrics are the main thing that caught my attention with this song with lines such as 'I can give you the life you deserve, just say the word'. I really enjoyed the lyrics because to me it's saying that you're worth more than you think and I will show the world how special you are to me, which I think is great.
hdhdhdhd
hdhdhdhd

10. Have I - Little Simz

Similar to 'Girl' I was attracted to this song mainly because of the lyrics. It's not my usual genre of music but I really enjoyed the point of the song. Some of my favourite lines are 'Relax your mind, don't panic, Impact the lives of the planet' and 'I'm to young to be stressed, but never too old to chase dreams'. Every time I listen to the song I find a new lyric that I relate to or interpret in a new way and I really love a song that has the ability to do that.
hdhdhdhd

Let me know what songs your loving at the moment in the comments below!




2 comments: